Sunday, July 8, 2012

End of Week 4 (Day 28 of 84)


Well we are certainly proud of ourselves for making it a third of the way through the challenge without wavering. It honestly hasn't been too difficult. The workouts do take a high level of effort and focus but at this point we enjoy trying to push ourselves to new levels. As long as we plan ahead, we have been meeting our nutrition requirements. This last week we didn't plan quite as much so we had a few problems with having the food ready that we needed. We know we need to make sure we plan ahead this week and for the rest of the challenge to make sure we have the right foods in stock. One thing that I haven't talked about yet is the cost of doing this program.

We actually started the Body for Life program about 6 years ago and did it for 3 or 4 weeks. We couldn't really keep up with the nutrition requirements because we couldn't afford the food. We also struggled with the weight training because we couldn't afford a gym or the equipment. Now we have reached a point where we can afford the food by making some adjustments in our home finances. We have also acquired some weights over the years so we have a set of dumbbells ranging from 2 pounds to 30 pounds which works for the most part. We still have some exercises where we need more weight to reach the intensities. As seen in the last blog post, I have been using my boys as weights sometimes. We also use our dining table and chairs for some exercises. Liz has exercise bands that work for her on some things.  I also just found an ab roller at a thrift store last week.

Lower body weight training days are especially hard to reach the intensities with what we have. Liz has been doing pretty good but I definitely need more weight. We have found out that we will have access to a private full weight training gym in a week or two that won't cost us a thing. Can't wait! In the mean time I have been going to gyms on my lower body days. We received a flier this last week that had a coupon for a free visit to a Senior Center Fitness Gym. So I worked out with a couple of senior citizens and disco music one day this last week. I've also done a couple of day passes at some gyms while we wait for access to this other gym.

Other ways we have saved money is through Liz's amazing coupon skills with groceries. We also buy manager's specials from Kroger. This is especially nice with the meats. Oatmeal is a really cheap breakfast carb. Eggs and cottage cheese are fairly cheap for protein. Once our garden starts producing we will be able to save on vegetables.  Our plan from the start was "No Excuses".  This included any excuse that we couldn't do what we needed to because of money.  God has really blessed us with opportunities to earn money and save money throughout the program.  

Well I think if you are reading this you are probably most interested in seeing the changes. I'm a little reluctant to post these photos because I don't want to make this about looks. Going through this program is about so much more than the looks. It actually started more because of the looks. However, I have gained confidence to tackle some challenging things. I've gotten more organized. I just feel better. My real deep down goal is to be able to serve God better. I am so sick of this world and all the distractions it is caught up in. I hate that I get caught up in all this too. I can't wait to be in heaven with God. I know it's not my time and I need to make sure I am submitting to God now and doing what He has placed me here for right now.  God help me.

Actually, the thing that has helped me fight in these workouts this last week is thinking about what God has done for me.  I know I'm not really doing any world changing accomplishments by running with no destination or picking up a weight and putting it back down.  But what I do understand is that I'm developing a fighting attitude to push through these physical and largely mental challenges.  

So for the sake of possibly motivating some of you to get going on this program or any program or to get going on anything you feel you should be doing, here is a comparison of my before and after photos. (Couldn't convince Liz to let me post hers but she is certainly changing a lot and looking great).





No comments:

Post a Comment